Izzy's Culinary Adventures in Queens

When two or more people meet and interact, they affect and change each other--how about when two or more peoples meet?

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Still eatin'

I haven't been cooking anything interesting or eating anywhere interesting either. I have been eating though. Nothing inspiring, but I figured I ought to write about those places instead. There are two worthy of mention downtown where I work. There is "Bangal Curry" an Indian/Bangladeshi place, and a food truck I go to when I can. Otherwise I just go to Subways--the stuff is not bad.

Bangal Curry is inexpensive and the food is fresh. It's a nice offering of Indian food staples like saag, daal, and curries, along with brown rice and some nice breads. The decor isn't fancy, but I go there to fill my belly, not for the atmosphere. A good meal takes care of my mood. I go for the veggie combo for five bucks--health and cost conscious. Sometimes I indulge in the goat or one of their breads. The place is located on Church Street between Park Place and Murray Street.

I understand the resistance some folks have to cart food. Unfortunately or fortunately, some of the best food and prices can be got this way. I eat from a cart, food truck to be exact, that sits parked on Ann Street and Nassau Street. I like this cart because not only is the food cheap, but it's good. It's also not the usual Pakiza cart, not that there is anything particularly bad about a Pakiza cart. That fare usually consists of lamb gyro, falafel, and chicken on a pita or rice with salad. Not bad, and I do indulge from time to time.

The food truck I am referring to offers this and more. He sells fish, chicken and beef stew--both of these taste home cooked. He sells a rice and chick peas that I haven't found elsewhere. Being a rice and bean man, I appreciate this. I don't know where the proprietor is from--it makes sense to ask. He is not South Asian, but seems from the Near East--he is black African in appearance. It's a white truck, so put the two together and you know you've got it right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home