Izzy's Culinary Adventures in Queens

When two or more people meet and interact, they affect and change each other--how about when two or more peoples meet?

Sunday, October 11, 2009

I'm back!

Those few still reading might have noticed that my entries ahve been few and far between. I just handed in my last assignment for my first college degree the night before last. Between school, work and looking after my family and community, it's a wonder I could think of anything else. Why I should've begun this project in the middle of all that is hard to say. It's still a good idea. I have done a little interesting eating here and there, but nothing to what I would've preferred. Still it's hard to eat dull food. I have also changed the deal a bit. Not only have I maintained an interest in food, but I have begun more health conscious and lost about thirty pounds! I estimate that I still need to lose at least 20-25 more pounds. The great thing is that there is no reason why a person cannot enjoy good food and still be a healthy weight. My little weight loss journey may be the source of future writing, but it's not done yet, so now I'll stick to food.

The latest experiment has been with granola, or rather making it. My mother used to make a mean granola trail mix, which was really quite enjoyable. I needed something nutritous and energy boosting after bike rides to work. There are numerous recipes for it online. Here I shall give my generic version, which is pretty standard. This idea is to add whatever you like. Its got whole grain, nuts, and you can control the content--especially with respect to sugar and fats. It's wonderfully simple and wonderfully flexible. As usual, I will not give you too many measurements--they are unnecessary in a case like this when what you like and actually will eat is more important.

2-3 cups of Old-Fashioned Oats (not minute oats)
brown sugar (to taste)
honey (to taste, of course, and maple syrup, or agave nectar works too.)
oil (which ever you prefer--experiment, I used soybean oil)
raw sunflower seeds
raw almonds (blanched, peeled, and sliced)
vanilla extract (1/2 tsp.)
cinammon (according to preference)
raisins (as many as you want)

This is a short list. You could add all kinds of things: peanuts, carob chips, dates, apricots, apples, currants, etc... Essentially you combined and mix the dry ingredients (except dry fruit) and wet ingredients separately, and then join and mix together. Place it in the oven in a Pyrex dish at about 300 degrees for about 30 minutes. Stir the mixture about halfway through. Allow it to cool some, then add the dry fruit and carob chips, if you wish. You've made granola! Enjoy with yogurt, as a cereal, or just as it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home