Izzy's Culinary Adventures in Queens

When two or more people meet and interact, they affect and change each other--how about when two or more peoples meet?

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Lunar New Year

Today I took my three children to the Lunar New Year parade in Flushing, Queens. It is more commonly referred to as Chinese New Year, but much of Far East Asia celebrates it. I took the kids to the one in Chinatown in downtown Manhattan once a few years ago, but the crowding was too much. I have since taken them to the one in Flushing, which is at least as large if not larger--certainly the Asian community is larger. Flushing is also in the only Councilmanic district in NYC actually represented by an ethnic Chinese Councilman, John Liu. Well, I attempted to attend this year as well. I was running late, but the parade was over early this year. It was cold, which was why I was delayed--trying to find the shortest, warmest route to the parade. I was initially disappointed, but decided to make the best of things and walk around Flushing a bit. There was bound to be an eatery that would be interesting.

Going to the parade with my children kills many birds with one stone. Naturally, I get to spend time with my children. I also get to see "the dragons!" Yes, I admit it, I go for me. I like those dragon and lion dancers. I also get to expose my children to the cultures of the world. These cultures will retain an air of the exotic, but not of the foreign or alien, as they grow older. I want them to be at home in the wide world.

My disappointment did not last long. I saw a pair of dragons dancing across the street with drummer and cymbalists in tow, as well as an entourage of following onlookers. We gave chase, and followed them to the Flushing Mall (39th Avenue and Prince Street). The dancers danced through the mall visiting each merchant's stall along the way. My impression is that it's for luck. I saw the dragon receive small gifts from some of the shopkeepers, which I assume is also traditional.

We roamed around the mall and found their food court on the lower level. The mall is like no other mall I've been to before. It's like being in Chinatown, but larger and more comfortable, though still relatively small and crowded. Naturally, I went where the folks were at. A bustling spot, rather "no frills," but not unpleasant. The only trouble I have when attempting to negotiate these surroundings is communication. There appeared to be multiple shops under one roof and one cashier. The appropriate system was not clear. Folks are usually quite pleasant, but they don't understand you, or their command of English is limited. In such cases, I ask, and ask again, until I find someone conversant in English--it usually doesn't take too long. The system is, pay the cashier, and wait by the appropriate kiosk for your number to be called--in Chinese! Folks were comparing numbers and tried repeating my number for me, so I'd understand it when it was called. I think i would've done okay, but luckily I didn't have to. The lady at the counter saw my face, asked for my ticket and took care to unite me with my order.

I got the House Special Chicken, I believe, for $7.50. The food was not bad, not great, though my kids really liked it and that's saying something. The best part though, was eating among ethnic Chinese, most of whom were not born in this country. It was especially good for the kids, though obviously it was good for me too. The Chinese, understandably, appear to have a different sense of personal space. Finding seating in the place was not easy. Someone observing my efforts to seat the kids suggested I take a seat at a time. My daughter sat first, she's a little shy, but she spoke to the man who assisted us. Next sat my youngest son, as space became available, and finally a couple arose and there was space for us all.

The resulting coziness was good. We shared the meal. The kids insisted on using chopsticks. I insisted on actually getting food in my mouth! We remained at the table with a gentleman from Taiwan who was good company, kindly assisted me in getting an extra bowl and spoons for the kids. I've made a number of queries regarding good Dim Sum places, and he gave me a tip to add to the others I've received. He referred me to a place on 37th Avenue between Main Street and Prince Street. This location is easily reached via the #7 train to the last stop: Main Street, Flushing. This gives four tips I have to follow up on: 2 Thai places, one Mexican, and now Dim Sum. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

At May 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you comment more often?

-Bob

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home