Izzy's Culinary Adventures in Queens

When two or more people meet and interact, they affect and change each other--how about when two or more peoples meet?

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chicken and snow peas

I still had uncooked chicken breast left over from last night's visit to The Great Wall (My favorite Chinese supermarket--the only one near me as well.). While there, I saw some snow peas on sale, so I picked some up. Well, tonight I decided to try a chicken and snow peas dish. I knew I had most of what I needed in the cupboard already, so I did a quick internet search on snow peas and came upon a recipe for stir-fry beef and snow peas here: http://startcooking.com/blog/423/How-to-Cook-With-Snow-Peas. I got the basic idea and went to improvising. Ginger and soy sauce are a well known Chinese duo. The following is what I did.

Soy Sauce (1/4 cup)

Ginger/Garlic paste (2-3 cloves of garlic crushed and fresh grated ginger 1:1.5 parts, respectively)

Sesame oil 1/2 tsp.

White vinegar 1 tbsp. (Rice wine or vinegar is suggested, but I didn't have it.)

a shallot (well-diced)

tsp. of white sugar

2 tbsp. of vegetable oil

tsp. of cornstarch

1/2 cup of water

1 1/2 pounds of chicken breast (cut up into chunks)

tsp. of salt

snow peas (didn't weigh them, about 2 1/2 handfuls--sorry about that!)

I combined and the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, shallot, sugar, vinegar and sesame oil together in a bowl. I then coated my large, deep skillet with the vegetable oil and kicked on the flame. The chicken was cut up, salted and waiting already. The boys were washing the snow peas, so all systems were go. I added the mixture to skillet and sauteed it until fragrant. I dropped in the chicken and "stir-fried" that a bit. Once coated and starting to cook, I added the water and continued cooking. When all was properly cooked, I added the corn starch to thicken things up and then the snow peas. I mixed the peas into the chicken, cooking for a few minutes, then covered it all and let it steam for a few minutes. Voila! Served it over jasmine rice.

My wife thought it delicious! However, she loves me. I thought it could use more--more of everything. I could probably have doubled it all (except for the chicken and snow peas) and made it better. Next time I'll add peppers and water chestnuts as well. That said, it was pretty good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home